VCCS Employment Services has over 30 years of expertise in helping individuals find employment in the City of Kawartha Lakes. Whether you are a youth or adult, VCCS administers various programs for Employment Ontario and Service Canada to help you find work.
Our Employment Counsellors will assist you in:
• Creating an employment service plan that will get you back to work in the shortest time
• Help you to develop an professional resume, cover letter and references
• Prepare you for employer interviews to help you stand out from the competition
• Help you identify careers exploring your interests, personality, abilities, aptitudes and transferrable skills
• Coach you on your job search strategies gathering labor market information, utilizing various job boards and connecting
with local employers
• Connecting to our Job Development team who can help secure placement opportunities with local employers
For those who are interested in securing an apprenticeship for occupations in the skilled trades, VCCS can help you learn about apprenticeship opportunities and our Job Developers can help connect you with employers who are looking to hire apprentices.
The Second Career Training Program helps those who have been laid off and have not been working receive financial support to train for a new career in a demand occupation. The counsellors at VCCS will meet with you to explain the program, determine your eligibility and guide you through the application process.
The Youth Job Connection Program is for youth between the ages of 15 – 29, unemployed and not participating in full-time school who are experiencing difficulty in finding or keeping employment. The goal of the program is to secure long-term
employment and meaningful careers.
Youth accepted into the program will:
• Meet with a youth employment counsellor to understand your needs and
create an action plan.
• Complete 60 hours of paid pre-employment workshops and activities
learning great skills you will utilize every day at work and with your job
search. Assistance in identify careers based on your interests,
personality, aptitudes and abilities will also be provided.
• Complete a paid job placement to provide you with valuable work experience.
• Receive job coaching and mentoring to increase your success in the workplace.
The Youth Job Link Program is designed to help youth, including students, 15 – 29, who could benefit from some extra help to plan their careers and transition into the world of work.
Youth will benefit from:
• Career Exploration to increase knowledge of vocational interests, aptitudes, abilities and how they relate to
occupations, education and career paths
• Create your resume, cover letter, interview preparation and assistance with job search
• Various workshops to help you with job readiness
VCCS has a resource room equipped with computers, a photocopier, fax machine and professional staff to assist with your job search. Our Resource Employment Counsellors can also help you with resumes, cover letters, job search strategies and connect you with workshops to help build your skills. Our Resource Team works closely with employers creating job postings and are on the pulse of the local labor market.
VCCS collects community and volunteer information as part of a four area collaborative called Fourinfo.com. If you
are looking for volunteer employment opportunities drop into VCCS to check out our volunteer job postings or search our community database for the four county area of City of Kawartha Lakes, Peterborough, Northumberland and Haliburton. This database also provides information in 211 Ontario on volunteer opportunities, community health and social service information.